The star of Transylvania

3rd gate of the citadel

After leaving Sibiu, I was looking forward to see what Alba-Iulia prepared to me. The journey with the train thru the mountains, was very nice, nothing like I've seen before and I had the chance to make some interesting photos. I arrived at 6pm, just in time to take a look on the city before the sunset.
View from the train
I walked 30 min with my backpack to the hostel which was a very nice one for 10. I think it was the best until now even if it was not in the city center. Across the street was a jewish cemetery. There I met two other backpackers, one from Romania (the first from my trip) and one from Peru. We went to the supermarket to buy the dinner and some beers and back at the terrace we started to share stories about the countries we visited and about how the life is back home until midnight.

Next morning I woke up at 3am because the guy from Peru left to Sighișoara, but luckly I could fall asleep again (I am sensitive with my sleep).

Union Hall 
After breakfast I went to visit the Alba Carolina citadel, one of the most beautiful in Romania, having a star shape. I watched the guard changing after I waited 1h for it (it was worth), I visited the Union hall (where the union act of Romania was signed in 1918), the National Union Museum and the Coronation Cathedral where the first king of Great Romania was crowned. In the evening there was a show with roman soldiers, gladiators and Dacian people, my ancestors.

In the second night at the hostel I met a dutchwoman who could speak Romanian which was very surprising for me. We talk about romanian mountains and the people from here. Next day both of us were heading to Cluj-Napoca.


I really liked Alba-Iulia. It's a small, clean and a closed to nature city ( if I can call it like that). I'm thinking about my retirement there. Who knows...

Comments