Sibiu thru my eyes

After I came from Poland, I decided that I have to go in a solo journey around Transylvania, because I wanted to find as many as possible generous and good people in my country.  I fulfilled this dream last summer when I took my backpack and started to ride to Sibiu.

Being a student in Romania could be pretty useful if you want to travel because we have 100% discount on the train tickets.

I started in a sunny morning without knowing what to expect from the Transylvanian people from Sibiu. The ride was very interesting because the last half of it was only thru mountains and for me was the first time since I was a kid when I saw mountains so close.

When I arrive there, I actually saw what I’ve expected: a very nice old city with big old buildings. It was a little bit nostalgic, because that reminded me of Krakow.

Travelling solo doesn’t mean you are alone, it means you have more time for yourself and for meeting new people. At the hostel (I tried couchsurfing, but did not find anybody to host me) I met another backpacker from Spain that visited 3 countries until then and other 3 were on the waiting list until he would arrive home. With another Colombian-Norwegian  guy that were volunteering at the hostel we went in the main square to listen some traditional romani music. For me was something usual, but for them was something new and they really appreciated the music and I was pleasantly surprised of that.

After that we went to try some traditional food (actually they, my mother cooks it everyday, but I joined them anyway). We ate ciorbă de burtă and sarmale. If you come in Romania, you have to try those ones.

Next day we continued our separated ways, I visited a museum and I met with the US Army, which was in the city to show to the people the military vehicles together with our army; it was like an opened-doors event.

The day after tomorrow I took the train to Alba-Iulia, where I met more backpackers and found out and saw more interesting things.

Comments